Ashwagandha: Indian Ginseng or Winter cherry
Traditionally known as ‘Ajagandha’ , ‘Amangura’ , ‘Amukkirag’ , ‘Asan’ in various parts of the country.
It is an evergreen shrub that grows in India and other regions of the middle east, and has been used since hundreds of years for its medicinal purposes.
The name itself describes its orgin , Ashwagandha , because ‘its roots smells like a horse’ and has the abilities to increase strength.
Ashwagandha is considered as one of the most important herbs in Ayurvedic system of medicine due to its actions against various ailments. It has been in use for centuries and it is considered safe for most people.
The uses and benefits of Ashwagandha:
- It is popularly known as an adaptogen because it helps the body manage stress. It does so by preventing high levels of cortisol or the ‘stress hormone’. Hence, it is used as tranquillizers, in antidepressant drugs, etc.
- Studies have found that, it lowers blood sugar levels in both diabetic and normal patients. It improves the insulin secretion and improves insulin sensitivity in muscle cells.
- It might have anticancer properties, studies have shown that it induces apoptosis of cancerous cells and it impedes the growth of new cancer cells via various mechanisms.
- It has been in use for centuries for its anti-inflammatory action. It reduces swelling and can be used for skin sores as well.
- According to Ayurveda, Ashwagandha also helps in boosting memory and studies have proven this fact to be true.
- Ashwagandha is also used as an aphrodisiac as it has powerful effects on testosterone levels and the reproductive health.
- As seen above that it helps in increasing testosterone levels, it also helps in increasing strength and body composition, it is used to increase muscle mass and strength and it is used as a health tonic.
- In today’s time, where we are living through a pandemic , it is essential for everyone to build their immunity , Ashwagandha has been used since ages as a body tonic because it is known to boost immunity , make the person stronger and healthier .
One of its greatest benefits is its stress relieving property which is perfect for battling through these stressful times.
DOSE: 1 capsule per day with water or warm milk for at least 2-4 months for best results.
(Consult physician if patient is pregnant or suffering from autoimmune diseases.
Blog credit: Miss. Bhairavi Palep