Also known as Bacopa Monnieri , water hyssop, herb of grace. This plant is one of the most popular Ayurvedic medicines and it has been in use since long before its benefits were known in literature today . Centuries ago , people believed that Brahmi had a great effect on the brain as its leaves were cerebellum shaped , they used it for its resemblance and effect on the brain and were proved to be very successful .
Situations of stress and anxiety have been a common issue since ages and are observed more rampantly today even in much younger age groups.
Research has shown that, ‘Brahmi’ has the ability to boost brain function which relieves the person from stress and anxiety.
This therapeutic herb has been used for centuries to enhance memory and as a health tonic, it was also used as an aphrodisiac.
Reasons to take Brahmi today:
- It has significant “amyloid” content which is proven to reduce or ease off the Alzheimer’s symptoms. This herb works on all aspects of memory such as Long term memory, Short term memory and the retaining capacity of the brain.
- It reduces the cortisol levels or the “stress hormone”, which in turn helps in reducing the stress and anxiety.
- It has shown great activity on the hippocampus region of the brain that plays an important role in the memory, intelligence, cognitive learning and concentration.
- This Herb is packed with antioxidants, which are very useful in scavenging the free radicals which can mutate into cancerous cells if allowed. They also prevent free radical interaction with fat molecules.
- It stimulates the release of nitric oxide which is an added benefit as it helps in maintaining blood sugar levels and blood pressure and hence , can be taken by diabetic patients as well .
- Brahmi reduces inflammation by suppressing the release of pro-inflammatory cytokines due to this property it can be used as anti-inflammatory and even in cases of arthritis.
- It may help in reducing ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) symptoms such as hyperactivity , impulsiveness , inattentiveness .
Chemical constituents due to which it shows its action :
Hersaponin , apigenin , D-mannitol , monnierasides , cucurbitacin , herpestine and nicotine etc. these are few of the chemical constituents due to which action of Brahmi is observed .
How to take:
Dr. Palep’s House of Health Brahmi capsules
One capsule twice daily
Blog credit: Miss. Bhairavi Palep